Title: The Old Theatre, Drury Lane, by John Thomas Smith, an engraving.
Creator: Smith, John Thomas, 1766-1833.
Bibliographic Citation: Smith, John Thomas, 1766-1833. The Old Theatre, Drury Lane : this front which stood in Bridges Street, was built by order of Mr. Garrick, previous to parting with his share of the Theatre. St. Martin’s Lane : N. Smith, 1794. Etching and engraving.
Notes: In 1747, David Garrick entered into partnership with James Lacy in the management of the theatre at Drury Lane, which he maintained until 1774. He was the first to renovate the exterior façade of the playhouse, in an effort to ennoble the theatre itself and the theatrical world more broadly through references to antique architecture. This aim is revisited here in the classically inspired façade details of the Old Theatre.
Subject: Theaters — England — London.
London (England) — Buildings, structures, etc.
Publisher: Rare Books and Special Collections, McGill University
is Part Of: European Print Collection
is Part Of Exhibition: Print in the Media Ecology
Exhibition Theme: The Stage
Image Identifier: 008_old_theatre_drury_lane-plate